Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Path Of The Horse DVD

I have found myself for the last few years, completely at a stop with horsemanship. I have come up with so many excuses to Why not complete my beautiful BLM mustang mare, Belladonna. I remember as a child being horse crazy and everything hoses. Just standing there was more then enough. I took riding lessons and read every book I could get my hands on. Soon I wanted more, I have always wanted to learn about things and just go way over the top to learn all I can. I have paid the monthly fees of top horseman's net clubs and thought I found a answer, but soon after I was finding myself just unhappy.
Why?
Every where we look horsemanship is about what we can do to horses, from 3 day events to classical dressage. Fun events all around, yet I was unhappy, with it all.
I went to a event here in my Home town called "Nevada County Rein Storm " http://www.nevadacountyreinstorm.com/ I had my own little space for my Abrasive natural hoof care, something I started studying over 3 years ago and never regretted it. I had some time to look at a few booth and saw Stormy's and was drawn over there. The DVD caught my eye and we traded a few words and I bought it, and off I went to get back to my booth, if people wanted me to explain my style of trimming.
I never got a chance to watch the DVD that night, but early the next day with  a cup of coffee I sat and watched it. I have heard of some of the names on the DVD cover, people who think outside of traditional horseman methods. The DVD was beautiful and really makes a person think and realize things.
For me it made me realize why I been in my downturn and have lost the passion for horses. It made me realize it is not all about running, yanking, tapping, etc.
When I first gentled my mare, I had her in 30 days halter broke and lead trained. And not with traditional ways. I listen to my gut and did things I felt were right for her and I, which made our bond grow stronger. I was happy and excited where I was in 2004 and 2005. But slowly I was told of this or that, or not doing that right or whatever. so I started to get my hands on everything. Natural horsemanship etc. I found myself in 2006 unhappy, I felt like I was stuck in a rut and it was just getting bigger and PLUS my mare and I only did things in training. I pet her etc but we lost our "togetherness" (is that a word?)
every one around could do things and yet I wanted more, I wanted to have something with my mare that is a fantasy. A partnership, a meaning...OUR BOND.
I think people should see this DVD and really think, because watching Stormy's movie really woke me up and made me realize that there are other ways and what I saw on this movie is what I myself want with my own horse and helping other horses.
For those wondering who is all featured on the TPOTH here are the people who Stormy interviewed: Klaus Ferdinand Hempfling, Alexander Nevzorov, Carolyn Resnick, Linda Kohanov, Mark Rashid, and Kim McElroy.
I started this blog because I want to write down my journey to better my bond and make a partnership with my own horse, thinking out of the box. Doing something that some may call worthless or silly. I believe it will better myself and get back what I have lost with my own mare, a bond and understanding.

No comments: